The pro side for stem cell reasearch consisted of Abigail, Hana, Aidan, Emma and Severyn, the con side consisted of Holly, Ines, Jacob and Arnie. The pro side won, ut te con side did show many ethical and moral dileamas shown in the debate. I'll show a bulleted list of negatives and positives of the debate below:
- Treatment of Cancer such as lymphoma and leukemia
- In the near future it might be able to cure Parkinson's disease, spinal cord injury, muscle damage.
- Cures heart damage
- Cures baldness, missing teeth
- Might be able to cure deafness and blindness and vision impairment
Negatives (most, if not all are ethical in nature):
- The extraction of stem cells, results in destorying the embryo (except this is no longerr valid, because researchers have showne that you can take stem cells without damaging the embryo).
- The organs grown from stem cells could contribute to the organ "black market" and provide it place to grow.
- It may someday be possible to stunt the aging process
- May be able to clone good heart tissue for people with damaged hearts after heartattcks and other heart problems
- Infertility; if a woman wanted to have a baby, but was infertile would have a much bigger chance of gaining a baby through the cloning process.
- You could theoreticly in the clone, give them perfect genes, meaning get rid of all the defective genes in people.
- If an area is underpopulated here is a solution.
- According to ethical groups it will lower the standard of human life.
- It will probably cost a lot, making tax payers pay more.
- If allowed unchecked could evolve into "slave labor"
- Black market would rise and humans would become a comodity as would organs
Next scribe is German